Team Rector: Rev. Margaret Sherwin
Kingstone is not mentioned in the Doomsday Book, there are no Anglo-Saxon charters relating to it and the Diocesan Probate and Church Commissioners’ statutory records and faculties have many gaps. It appears for the first time in the Pipe Rolls of 1166. The earliest mention of a church in the village is in 1175 when the advowson was in dispute between William de Greseleia (Gresley) and John de Blithfield. In a record of 1232 the Vicar of Kingstone is also the Rector of Gratwich and by 1244 the advowson belonged to the Augustinian Abbey at Rocester, 3 miles north of Uttoxeter. Kingstone as an entity once belonged to Sir Thomas Gresley and was sold to Sir Edward Aston in the 16th century. The Presentation Deeds dating from 1761 show the Patron for Kingstone to be the Honourable Chetwynd Talbot family, the hereditary Earls of Shrewsbury.
The first Kingstone church was of ancient stone structure in the Gothic style of architecture with a common brick tower built over an old stone building, added later and not in the same style.
A Chapel on the north aisle of the church was the burial place of Sir Symon Degge who died in 1704 and was best known as an antiquarian. He was a lawyer by profession, a judge of West Wales, Recorder of Derby and High Sheriff of Derbyshire. Tablets inscribed to Symon Degge and his two wives, originally in the chapel, now lie in the churchyard close to the site of the chapel. The font from the old church is also resident there.
The condition of the church as described in the late 1850s – ‘an unsightly building both externally and internally, the walls and floors very damp and the pews inconvenient and in a dilapidated condition’- was almost certainly an exaggeration and excuse to avoid major repair costs and create new.
Old tombs and fonts in the Churchyard