Team Rector: Rev. Margaret Sherwin
The Present Church is sited a little to the east of the old church and built in one year for the princely sum of £2000, mainly at the expense of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot with some portion paid by diocesan grant and a few private subscriptions, the church was consecrated on the 21st October 1861. The church is grade II listed and the architect was David Brandon of Berkley Square, London, and the builder Mr. Evans of Ellastone, near Ashbourne. Some of the materials from the old church were reused while the new stone came from the quarries at nearby Hollington. The church is well built on a prominence overlooking the centre of the village. The approach is over a small bridge spanning the Tad Brook, through the substantial and elegant lychgate erected in 1929 using funds provided by the Kingstone Women’s Institute, and up the steep path bounded by an avenue of small yew trees planted at the time of the construction of the church.
Three ancient yew trees occupy a position between the sites of the old and new churches. The flowers of rhododendrons provide a colourful scene in spring and the churchyard is the refuge of the wild daffodil, a flower now quite rare.
The church has an open-timbered roof carried upon carved stone corbels of Early-English style architecture. The windows and doors and the exterior decoration are of the same period. There is a carved chancel arch and the pulpit and font, richly carved by Mr. Ford of Alton, are all of Hollington stone. The illuminated script on the tablets over the pulpit and lecturn, placed when the church was built, depict the ten commandments.
The nave is 60ft long and 22ft wide and the chancel, with polygonal apse, 25ft long and 16ft wide. The floors are paved with Minton tiles of various designs and colours.
The south aisle, by Street, is divided from the nave by an arcade of five arches and is headed by the organ, a single manual, wind and pipe instrument with 6 manual stops and a pedal board of 13 notes. There is no north aisle. The tower, with spire, on the north side houses the vestry and the belfry.
To read more about the Church's artifacts, please click here.
The representation of the Church, that appears at the top of the webpage and above was penned by Bryn Woolley who sadly passed away in 2008 while on holiday in France.
Bryn was a very talented Artist/String Instrument Maker and Needlewoman and many examples of her work still exist in Kingstone.
Her husband Peter lives on the village and researched some of the information in the history section of the Church leaflet.
He continues to play his cello, which was one of the instruments made by Bryn.